kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness, Jim Kay **August 26, 2013**

Now that I've calmed down and gotten some sleep let me try to write something less melodramatic.

Conor is a thirteen-year-old boy who recently had to pick up more responsibilities at home while his single mother is undergoing treatments for her cancer. It's not easier at school either, because he's been targeted by bullies and somehow, people kept their distance once they found out about his mother. When her condition started to worsen, a monster showed itself to Conor and started telling him stories, stories which seemed insignificant to him at first, but later proved to be invaluable lessons about life.

I won't sugarcoat it. This book was heartbreaking. Patrick Ness had perfectly translated the emotions of a young boy into something any one of us can easily identify with. The feeling of not being wanted. The feeling of being misunderstood. The feeling of being invisible. The feelings of desperation and helplessness. The crushing disappointment. The anger. The guilt. The pain.

This book was perfection - from the writing to the illustrations to the message. It is a sad thought to know that Siobhan Dowd will never get to read her idea come to fruition, but if she had the chance to I am sure she would approve. I recommend this to everyone, because as H. Jackson Brown Jr. said, "...everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something." If you're willing to read it, this book has something waiting for you.
"You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**August 25, 2013**

I know there are lessons to be learned from all that has happened, but at this moment my heart is too shattered to make out anything from it. If there is one truth that can even provide an ounce of comfort to me right now, it's knowing that it's okay. Without a doubt, this book is a life-changer. Read it. And then gift it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**August 15, 2013**

Bought this today after seeing the gorgeous illustrations. I heard this one will trigger the ugly sobs. It also has one of the most beautiful book trailers I've ever seen.