kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes What else can I say about Me Before You that hasn’t been said already? It’s as beautiful and moving as everyone says, yet instead of the depressing read that I was expecting it turned out to be funny and witty and uplifting, for the most part. If you haven’t read this yet, STOP READING REVIEWS, including this. Go in blind, shut out the hype and expectations, and don’t believe for a minute that this is a romance novel.

Lou just radiates positivity and goodness that it’s impossible not to be affected. She started out as this young woman who was content, but not without dissatisfaction, until her world was shook. I felt her helplessness and related to her fears, but I also cheered for every transformation she made.

And gawd, I don’t know if I’ve ever read a character as fascinating and as unique as Will. This is a man who knew himself completely, a man who wouldn’t settle for anything less than what he wants. He led a big life; however, his quadriplegia has now trapped him in a life he doesn’t want to live. Pain, depression and loneliness plague him every day, which makes his bitterness and bad temper easy to understand. The decision he made was not surprising, and even though I was happy for the efforts that Lou made, I don’t think I would’ve loved the ending had she succeeded. People will always fail you, despite their good intentions and best efforts. If Will had chosen to back out, he’d be living for her, not for himself. Whoever wrote the song Love Will Keep Us Alive was greatly disillusioned, because it really won't. If Will had believed in a higher being or found purpose in his predicament it might have been a different story, but he had a vision of life that he would not betray. For him, he was already dead. And the remainder of his life would only be a lifetime of mourning for the person he once was.
And no matter what anybody says about grief, and about time healing all wounds, the truth is, there are certain sorrows that never fade away until the heart stops beating and the last breath is taken. – Tiffanie DeBartolo, God-shaped Hole

And can you judge Lou and the rest of his family for trying their best even though it’s not what Will wanted? It’s not selfishness. How can you live with yourself if you knew that you didn’t do everything? Who gets to judge whose happiness outweigh the other? In the end, I can’t accuse Will of being a hypocrite for urging Lou to live when he won’t, because his experience and feelings are his own. Who are we to judge what’s best for him when we have no idea what it’s like?

This really is a thought-provoking novel that’s more suited for a book club discussion rather than a recap of my thoughts and feelings so I’ll leave this as it is. It has its sad moments, yes, but I think it’s highly unfair to judge the book based on the crying-feels alone. This has humor, clever dialogues, and completely relatable characters. It’s definitely one of the most thoughtful and inspiring books I’ve read this year.