kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

SEAL of Honor - Tonya Burrows I believe that this is my first foray into military romance, or something like it. For the most part, I was entertained, and there was NOT ONE character whom I disliked. HumInt Inc.'s Hostage Rescue and Negotiation Team, or HORNET, has an eclectic mix of skilled men who I believe will each have their stories told. When this book caught my eye I thought it was going to have a similar feel as The A-Team (movie) and I was pretty excited about it. Now that I've finished it, I'm undecided if this romance subgenre is for me.

I know nothing about the way mercenaries or military men work but I have a feeling that this book was pretty well-researched. In fact, that might be where my feelings of indifference come from. There's a lot of technical and strategy talk that didn't interest me that much, so I found myself pausing every now and then. I just wanted to get to the romance! Then again, that's just me. I did enjoy the interaction between the team members. I loved Jean-Luc! And it might be too early to say but apart from Gabe, it's Quinn who's captured my heart.

Now, onto the romance part. I have a hit-and-miss fondness for insta-love. Yes, I understand instant attraction and know that it can't be helped, even if one is under a tense or taxing situation. However, I didn't find Audrey's thoughts and feelings convincing. This might just be me, but if I were in her shoes, I think I'd act with a little more sense of urgency to get on with finding my brother instead of acting upon my feelings toward Gabe. I thought it was inappropriate of her to declare that there was something between her and Gabe 25% into the story, when they've known each other for what, a day? They were in the middle of a mission too! As the story progressed I did find their romance to be sweet, albeit cheesy at times. Some of their dialogue just sounded unnatural. However, I thought that they make a great couple. The book provided a lot of steaminess even though the sexy scenes were limited.

Overall, I still found this to be an enjoyable read. There were a lot of funny moments especially Audrey's "two-pump-chump" lines and Jean-Luc's moments. This is a perfect light read with plenty of likable characters, many of whom I've grown to care about and take interest in. I thought this was a great pilot to a promising series and I can't wait to read about the other men of HORNET!

This review copy was provided by Entangled Publishing, LLC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.