kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

How to Kill a Rock Star - Tiffanie DeBartolo -edit-
May 24, 2013

Giveaway and interview with Tiffanie D. and our beloved characters (no spoiler!) over at Totally Booked Blog.

God, that interview. I want to weep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

-edit-
April 25, 2013

Oh god. This review is crap. I feel like re-writing it after my nth re-read, especially now that I've read God-shaped Hole.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I first read this in September of 2012. I have since re-read it twice and still find myself going back to my favourite passages every once in a while. Believe me, I have this book on my iPad, my Kobo and paperback and all three have numerous highlights of my favourite quotes! I just ADORE Tiffanie DeBartolo's writing.

Eliza Caelum moves to New York City to work as a music journalist for the biggest music magazine in the country. Luckily, her brother, Michael, and his wife, Vera - who also happens to be Eliza's best friend, live there and helps her start up. Michael is a guitarist in a band called Bananafish, and it is with the band's lead vocalist's apartment where Eliza finds herself moving in.

Meanwhile, Paul Hudson works at The Gap to support himself while Bananafish struggles to get signed with a record label. He has a vision for his musical career and he aims to be true to himself, his sound and his bandmates. He has the rockstar persona too, a few fans and endless girls he hooks up with - until he meets and falls for his new roommate, Eliza. Michael made it clear that his sister is off-limits but he feels a deep connection with her that transcends their common love and affection towards rock and roll.

This book chronicles Eliza and Paul's story. It IS a love story and because it is told in alternating points of view we understand and feel EVERYTHING they went through in the different stages of their relationship, and most importantly, why they came to the important decisions they made. We learn of their hopes and dreams, their fears and weaknesses. We learn of the true power of music and how it affected them. We learn of Bananafish's struggles and the sacrifices the band and those around them made.

I honestly loved Paul and Eliza. Eliza could sometimes be a little neurotic but I loved her wholehearted belief in Paul. Her adoration and love for him was evident throughout the book , even her lapse of judgement with Loring was brought about by her concern for Paul and his career, and I'm happy she stood by him in the end as she promised. Paul, on the other hand, is someone I just want to hug and hold. Sure, he can be cocky and self-absorbed. And maybe he tends to be a drama queen most of the time but it's his expressiveness and honesty that totally gut my insides. There were times when I felt so angry at Eliza for playing him. Even though it was a mix of poor decisions, exploiting by the big, bad music industry and maybe just plain failure of the masses to appreciate their non-mainstream sound, I felt that it was ultimately his heartache that led him to his "several lapses in judgement" and his final decision to disappear. I usually hate sappy books but despite the melodrama here I never felt emotionally manipulated. I just appreciated its honesty and all the raw emotions it made me feel. I may not like how the end turned out for them but knowing Paul and Eliza, I am sure they are happy and they don't give a damn what everyone's version of a happy ending is. And in the end, isn't our sole wish, as readers, just for our hero and heroine to be happy? Therefore this book has succeeded. I am happy for the characters and I am beyond touched by its impact on me, as a music lover and reader. This will remain a favourite for a long, long time.