kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Tangled - Emma Chase I don't think I've read a more unputdownable, feel-good romance novel in recent months. Drew Evans had me grinning like an idiot from page 1 the cover to the very last page. While the typical broody and bossy alpha-male is my tried-and-tested go-to hero, it's always refreshing to fall for someone who's funny and melodramatic too.

So what's this book all about? Drew Evans is the epitome of bachelorhood cliché. He works as a successful investment banker for his father's firm. He's good at what he does and he knows it. His motto is: work hard, play harder, and he's a freaking MVP when he plays. His manwhoring ways are pretty well known. And because he's handsome, rich, and confident, he basically gets any girl he wants, that is, until he meets Kate Brooks. And now he finds himself faced with a problem. Kate is sexy, attractive, and seemingly immune to his charms. She's also the new associate at his work! Drew's policy is to never sleep with a colleague. But for some reason he can't take his mind off her, and the more he spends time with her, the more he wants her.

Now, story-wise, this book really had nothing new to offer. But anyone who loved this book would tell you that what made this a gem of a read was Drew Evans himself. Sure, I've read of snarky guys as narrators before but getting into the mind of Drew was just so entertaining. He is cocky, spoiled, crude, overconfident, and so self-absorbed that it's funny. He discards women like used condoms yet he is a gentleman. He tends to be immature and superficial, yet you can't help but think that he's honest, at least. And he does grow up, which is the important thing.
...sometimes a guy can't become a man until he's met the right woman.

I practically have half my ebook highlighted with his humorous musings. If I could share with you all the quotes I've loved I'd be practically reprinting the entire book! The banter, or as the author would say - verbal foreplay, between him and Kate are witty and funny. But Drew aside, the women of this book are the absolute winners.

From 4-year-old Mackenzie,
"Momma says you gonna die alone. She told' Daddy that you gonna die and it be days till a cleanin' lady find your rottin' corpse."

to Erin, Drew's secretary,
"Incoming! Incoming! Kate, nine o'clock!"

to Alexandra, The Bitch
"I distinctly remember changing your diaper and seeing those cute little guys hanging there. What happened to them? Did they shrink? Disappear? Because that's the only reason I can think of to explain why you would behave like such a pathetic no-balls coward!"

to Dee-Dee, Kate's best friend
"...if those choices turn out to be rotten, then I'll help her clean up the mess. Because that's what best friends do - help bury the body."

to Sister Beatrice,
"We're all sinners, m'boy. Some of us just enjoy it more than others."

to, last but not the least, Kate. That lucky girl! Can I just trade places with her? Please? The efforts that Drew took to win her were so swoon-worthy! I was squealing and hugging my iPad when I read the message he asked the skywriter to display!

I only wished that the book could've been longer. I can't get enough of Drew's hilarious thought-process and witty lines! While the story bordered on the fantastical and childish, I still can't help but feel completely sucked in. It's just a really fun read! There's no life-altering experience, but you'll definitely turn the last page with a flutter in your heart and a grin on your face.

Drew Evans... *shakes my head* You've slyly snuck up my heart and held permanent residence there, you arrogant bastard.

P.S. The title says, "Tangled (Tangled #1)." I hope the next books are about Alexandra and Steven, or Dee-Dee and Matthew :)