kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Captive in the Dark - C.J. Roberts This isn't much of a review and I don't have a lot to say. I feel guilty for liking this book as much as I did even though I constantly reminded myself that it IS only fiction. Anyone can say that it's a tough book to read and I can now attest to that. I'm all for occasionally reading books that make you feel uncomfortable but this one made me feel all sorts of contradicting emotions. I can't express how unavoidably sick in the head our two main characters here are.

Livvie, though 18 at the time of her captivity, is still a child in my eyes and that made reading this all the more difficult. The truth is, she was abused and raped, no matter what romantic angle the author tried to write it from. She was beaten repeatedly, starved and held captive against her consent. How can you trust her to give meaningful consent? Her will was already taken from her and what she had left she had no choice but to surrender.

Caleb is obviously fucked up. I do pity him and his plight and fine, maybe he has that sick mentality because of his past and because of what was ingrained in him. Maybe that's the only way of life he knew. But he was still a sick person and while the author seemed to keep telling us what to think of and feel about him, I still can't understand him.

3* because this is the first book I've read touching this subject and it was interesting enough to keep me turning page after page. And while the true conditions of the situations in this book are horrific I guess some perverted fantastical thoughts of mine were fulfilled through some well-written smutty scenes. However, it failed to achieve Stockholm Syndrome with me. I found some parts, especially Livvie's thoughts on Caleb's actions, to be overly justified, as if the author wanted to steer our emotions to a certain direction. *sigh* I don't know. My feelings are conflicted. I don't think I'll be re-reading this in the future.