kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2) - C.J. Roberts As with the previous book, I had conflicting feelings after reading this one. While it IS a work of fiction, sex trafficking and slavery aren't. The fact that it happens to real people made it hard for me to like the book despite caring for the main characters.

Livvie, while being strong and brave throughout her entire ordeal, remains an unreliable narrator. I still don't understand the Caleb-love and my feelings for him at this point has more to do with pity and an instinct to take care of him more than love in the romantic sense. He's been nothing but a sick misogynist for the most part and now that he knows the truth about himself, he really needs help.

I don't know what else I can say... I had a sick feeling in my stomach 95% of the time. I can't say that I didn't enjoy the smutty scenes but again there was the guilty feeling because Livvie wasn't in a healthy state of mind. Her actions were based on desperation and helplessness. I couldn't stand Caleb's constant kick-then-hug treatment towards Livvie. I was especially upset over the scene where he used Celia to hurt her. I did like that they were able to somewhat get out of the hole they were in. I cared about them and wanted them to have a chance at happiness.

I also felt that the story ended too abruptly, despite its length. I didn't understand why the tryst between Reed and Sloan had to be included. What was the point? And how did Agent Williams even suggest THAT conclusion from a simple coincidence in years when Vladek was present in the U.S.? And for a man who's been the object of Caleb and Rafiq's vendetta he didn't even make an appearance in the 2 books! I was also disappointed that the chase wasn't longer, wasn't more action and drama-filled once we finally found out who the truth about Caleb. And lastly, I just wanted more Caleb and Livvie.

Overall I found the story to be riveting, despite the disturbing content. The writing was just okay. The idea of writing flashbacks was great though. It felt like a movie playing in my head. I also found Caleb and Livvie interesting enough to continue reading. I can't say that I'd be re-reading this in the future. There were a lot of scenes that were too horrific to replay. But I'll most likely read the additional epilogue that the author will be releasing, just to get a glimpse of the characters post-trauma and see how they ease their way back to the real world.