kimreads

adjective

1. Having a space or cavity inside; not solid; empty
2. Having a depression or concavity
3. Sunken

The above definition sinking in yet? Yep. I might as well be describing Perry 2.0.

[b:Into the Hollow|13617933|Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346388869s/13617933.jpg|19220748] resumes the story right after that heart-dropping cliffhanger in [b:On Demon Wings|13442031|On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror, #5)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331704748s/13442031.jpg|18949847]. Dex and Perry's experience in Idaho is life-altering, and Perry can't help but wonder what's next for her. She knows she can't stay in her house, what with her parents regard for her, but she's jobless and broke and she doesn't exactly have a friend she can run to at the moment. Luckily, or unluckily, rather, Dex offers her a way out: to move in with him to Seattle.

I knew my choices but I didn't have to like them. If I went out with Dex, I knew I'd be safe. But would my heart? How could I trust him again? How could I think that living with him, even as his roommate, even for a short while, wouldn't be emotionally damaging in some way?

She makes the decision to go with him but being around Dex is not without difficulties. They weren't what they used to be. And while I was rejoicing wih the fact that Jenn is now out of the picture, I couldn't celebrate fully because Perry and Dex were still broken, Perry more so. But they make efforts to keep the awkwardness at bay. Dex is determined to earn Perry's forgiveness and Perry is, well, determined to find a job ASAP so she can move out before her heart breaks further. Coincidentally, their old boss, Jimmy, offers them an assignment. And while they both think it isn't a good idea, Perry is desperate for a job and really, this job is what she knows best and what she's good at.

The new project appears to be easy. An owner of a llama outfitters in the mountains of B.C. has apparently been dealing with animal attacks, supposedly something like a Sasquatch, and Dex and Perry were to look into it. They don't think much of it, because it doesn't seem like they'll be having supernatural encounters. What they didn't anticipate was the danger their lives were in the moment they started their expedition.

For someone who is a self-proclaimed wuss (slept with my bedside lights on after [b:Lying Season|13061289|Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323754445s/13061289.jpg|18226704] and [b:On Demon Wings|13442031|On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror, #5)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331704748s/13442031.jpg|18949847]), I found that the horror factor in this book to be quite tame. But maybe that was the intention. After all, Perry and Dex had a relationship to rebuild, whether that be in the professional or friendship sense for now, and adding a ghostly presence might have been too overwhelming. Having said that, I didn't really focus on their work in this story as much. And while the book refers to the hollow as the hiding place of the supposed beast, for me, the title and the whole feel of the book referred to Perry. She was hollow. The past few months have taken so much from her. In this book, I felt her confusion, her guarded heart, her struggles and her conflicts. What was she supposed to do?

[b:Into the Hollow|13617933|Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346388869s/13617933.jpg|19220748] wasn't entirely Perry-centric. In fact, we get a lot of Dex in this book. He's his old snarky, funny and charming self yet he feels different. He IS different. I must admit, it took me 5 full length novels and 3 novellas in order to get to this point but what the heck, I am in love with Dex. I loved him before, but in a different way, in a drawn-to-the-broken-and-mentally-unstable-way. But I LOVE him more now. I understand him better and most importantly, I've forgiven him for his...lapses in judgement. I am pleased that he is now so open and honest with Perry and I could see the sincerity in his words and actions.

I have finally caught up in the series and it's a bittersweet feeling. I'm excited for what's next but at the same time I feel like I'm stuck in a funk. I didn't expect to like EIT this much when I first started reading the books but I can now say that I am completely obsessed. [a:Karina Halle|4785031|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1333997846p2/4785031.jpg] is such an amazing writer and I hope she gets the recognition that she deserves. I am this close to heading to my local Chapters bookstore, grabbing the nearest associate and shaking her until she makes a special feature shelf/table/shrine with all of this author's works. She's from Canada, for Christ's sake! We need to up the exposure! Seeing that I lack the technology-savviness and I'm too incapable of maintaining a steady online presence to keep a book blog, I'll definitely do my part by recommending this series to my friends and of course, continuing to profess my love here on Goodreads.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

PERFECT Derry song for [b:Into the Hollow|13617933|Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346388869s/13617933.jpg|19220748]. *sigh*