kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Lying Season - Karina Halle WOW!!!

God, my heart's still racing minutes after finishing Lying Season. What an appropriate title too. I smelled trouble the moment I read the book blurb. I know I need to read the next book right away but if I don't write this down now I'll probably never get around to doing it.

Anyway, this installment in the series brings Perry to Seattle to explore this haunted mental institution. Creepy place? No problem. Perry bunking with Dex and Jenn - BIG problem. Wait. WHAT?! Yep. The set-up is obviously a disaster in the making but Jenn insisted, probably to keep Perry under her nose. And oh my god. The tension!

I liked how we were able to meet some of the other people from Shownet in this book and Perry seems to have found new friends. The highlight of this book for me is, yet again, Perry's character development. She's bolder, less shy, and she gives the best responses to anyone who tries to insult her. She's leaner (literally), tougher and she's more determined to get to the bottom of Dex.

I've been saying since book 1 that Dex is a mystery to me. We get to know a lot about Dex in this book, yet I feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg. It is so easy to hate him here, to be honest. But I also understand where he is coming from - the need to hold on to something concrete, something stable. He breaks my heart, that poor, tortured man. =(

This was also the scariest book in the series so far. Karina has really upped her descriptive-horror-writing talent in this one! I began this book at 10:00pm last night and I am not ashamed to say that I slept with my bedside night lamp turned on and my back to my wall, you know, just in case I hear a drip or trickle and turn around to find Abby there.

Awesome, awesome job with this one. I can't wait to read the next!