kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror) - Karina Halle What the f*ck did I just read?

It's official. I'm on board the crazy EIT train.

True to the promise of others, the story really gets exciting after books 1 and 2. While I enjoyed [b:Darkhouse|11356211|Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360092374s/11356211.jpg|16286238] and [b:Red Fox|11710500|Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1324262036s/11710500.jpg|19191181], I didn't get that feeling of must-read-next-book-NOW. The first book was a great introduction to the series while the ending of the second book had me feeling anxious about what's to come. They were like a subtle kind of seduction. Then I started [b:Dead Sky Morning|12322385|Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror, #3)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1318959961s/12322385.jpg|17300620] and BAM!!! Before I knew it, I was completely, utterly owned.

My worries after Red Fox has something to do with my feelings of protectiveness towards Perry. Dex is still a large question mark for me. I get the appeal, really, I do, but he's been an insensitive jerk most of the time, so far. He has a lot of self-redemption to do. And Perry is falling for him, hard and fast. I worry for her heart!

So anyway, for their new project, Dex and Perry head to D'Arcy Island, this tiny island off of Victoria, B.C. It used to be a small leper colony a century ago where lepers were left on their own. Once every three months, a ship would come to drop off food, opium and coffins - for the lepers to bury each other when they died. The island is now a provincial park but it's still deserted most of the time. Campers who come back report strange occurances and many believe the place to be haunted, which makes it the perfect location for Dex and Perry to film.

I had a bad feeling about their little expedition the moment I read that they were gonna be alone in that island for the duration of their stay. Sh*t is obviously gonna happen and true enough, this book provided more than enough creepy encounters. Out of what I've read so far, this was definitely the most terrifying. I can barely get the images of coffins washing ashore and that disgusting, rotting baby climbing up Perry's body as she was tied up .I mean, holy freaking crap! Oh gosh, there were so many other scenes that gave me goosebumps. The only thing that kept me moving on was the NEED to get more Dex and Perry.

At first I was worried that they'd go back to their eternally-on-their-first-date act after Red Fox, and they somewhat do. But Perry seems stronger this time around. She knew Dex better now, and consequently, knew how to handle him when he'd say off-putting things. I still felt worried for Perry's feelings though. That lap dance scene was so awkward! Perry must have felt so embarrassed! But she was a good sport about it and I felt fine after. You know what I'm not fine with? Jenn getting pregnant with Dex's baby!!! I was so upset with that piece of news that I wanted to throw my iPad against the wall and call it quits. I know that technically, there's nothing going on between Dex and Perry but I still couldn't help but feel hurt, betrayed and defeated for Perry. Damn you, [a:Karina Halle|4785031|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1333997846p2/4785031.jpg], for being such an effective writer and tearing my heart apart. I was sooooo relieved when it was revealed in the end that it was a false alarm. I honestly think that Jenn plotted that to keep Dex deep in turmoil and away from Perry's panties, given the fact that the two would be spending a lot of time together in a remote island. B*tch's gonna do what a b*tch has to do. Anyway, that piece of roadblock aside, I was pleased with closeness that's been developing between our two ghost hunters. It really shows how they genuinely cared for each other, even though some of Dex's actions infuriated me. I was cheering as the tent scene was unfolding and the suddenly, NOOOOOOO!!!. I was the one who felt led on. But I guess that had to happen in order for Perry's character growth. I loved how she reacted the next day! Go, Perry!

Up until 95% into the book, I still couldn't understand the Dex-love from fellow Goodreaders. But I am a fool for sweet, desperate words. "Please, baby. Don't leave me. don't leave me." How can I resist THAT? *sigh* God! I just want Dex to get his act together, dump Jenn's sorry ass and realize that Perry is his OTPartner. THEN I'll be Team Dex =)