kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Darkhouse - Karina Halle Done, done, done!

Just a quick post of my thoughts before I dive into my next book:

I had apprehensions about getting into this series because I'm really chickenshit when it comes to supernatural and paranormal things. I have never seen The Blair Witch project, for one. The last "scary" movie I've seen was The Grudge 2 (American adaptation) and that was YEARS ago. I read [b:Coraline|17061|Coraline|Neil Gaiman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327871014s/17061.jpg|2834844] as an adult and I still had trouble sleeping the night I finished it. Thankfully, Megan here appeased my nerves and assured me that the stories are not that scary.

[b:Darkhouse|11356211|Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360092374s/11356211.jpg|16286238] was a great first book to a promising series. I wasn't worried about not liking it because I had read [b:Sins & Needles|16029994|Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy, #1)|Karina Halle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347859611s/16029994.jpg|21799599] by the same author and liked her writing style. It pleases me when an author is not afraid to write imperfect characters. Here we have Perry, a formerly troubled girl with weight issues and drug habits who just wants to get her life together and have an exciting, lucrative career. She currently works as a receptionist at an advertising firm and although it's not the most exciting job out there she's sticking to it due to her parents' convincing. Her parents are worried about her. Apart from her problem child act, she also grew up with an overactive imagination (imaginary friends and such) and was made to see a shrink because of it. That phase ended. However, she's been having these weird dreams lately and they cause her to have "episodes" and act a little "off."

One weekend her family drives out to her Uncle Al's beachside house for a get-together. The night they got there Perry and her sister, Ada, hang out with their twin teenaged cousins by the beach. But Perry gets a wild hair and decides to give in to her curiosity and visit the abandoned lighthouse near the beach. This is where she runs into Dex, the producer/cameraman for a company that airs several shows on the Internet. And this is when the strange events ensue.

I won't give away too much of the story so as not to reveal spoilers but basically, Perry and Dex team up for a filming project that involves the lighthouse.

Dex is another example of a perfectly imperfect character crafted by the author. He was definitely hyped up by a lot of reviewers here on Goodreads, and I must admit that he was mainly the reason that piqued my interest. He doesn't seem to be the guy that everyone here is crazy about - at least NOT YET. He is a mystery to me and his character alone makes me want to continue with the series. One minute he's silent and mysterious and then he'd be joking around and funny next, saying things like, "That's the spirit! Now we are cooking with gas!" and singing along to Billy Joel. I felt that something was up with his behaviour and that was later confirmed when it was revealed that he was taking meds for psychosis. I knew it! This is hardly a turn off though. I love the mentally unstable ones. He also had some sweet moments which I hope is a glimpse of what I'd be getting more of in the future books. Although I've heard from some reviews that he also has ass-holish tendencies. Again, not a deterrent ;)

Aside from the characters, I also liked the fact that there was no insta-love going on except for Perry's cute crush on Dex. However, it irked me to pieces when I learned of Jennifer Rodriguez and her role in the book. Ugh! I could do without her. (I have this instant feeling of protectiveness towards Perry already, as you can tell.) It seems that I'll have to see more of her in the future though. Oh well.

I'm excited to read the next books in the series and see how Dex and Perry's relationship play out. I could care less about their actual mission but I'm hoping it doesn't get any creepier (fat chance, right?) than this. I was really freaked out by the airport washroom scene!