kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Raid - Kristen Ashley I feel like there is something wrong with me for not giving [b:Raid|17257993|Raid (Unfinished Hero, #3)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361025483s/17257993.jpg|23852415] less than 4 - 5 stars. Sure, there have been Kristen Ashley books that got a 2 or 3 star rating for me and that is by no means indicative of how good or bad those books were. The story or the characters and I just didn't click, for lack of better words.

Maybe it had to do with my mood at the time of reading as well. I just came down from am still wound up from my last read, which had me crying and wailing "Why God, WHY?" long after I was done reading. Maybe it also had to do with my constant stalking of the Kristen Ashley Addicts Support Group for days leading up to the release of Raid, getting worked up from all the excited chatter and even sneaking up to the Raiden and Hanna thread with my eyes half-covered. I had high hopes for the story, seeing that Raid was an ex-marine (like, how can you go wrong with that right?) and Hanna was that shy and quiet girl who finally caught the eye of her forever crush. Sounding like [b:Breathe|15742039|Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1341841655s/15742039.jpg|21429192] yet? What could go wrong? That's the perfect formula for the perfect KA book.

However, and I hate myself for feeling this, I couldn't help but feel a little let down. For the record, I really, REALLY liked the story. There was nothing in the plot that I found faulty except for my opinion that there wasn't enough. Not enough pages, first and foremost. Not enough mystery. Not enough action. Not enough of Raiden's thoughts and history. I mean, we did get a lot of history but they all came across as trivial, rather than being the huge and important backstory of our hero. Not enough steam for an Unfinished Heroes book, in my opinion. Not enough bad guys. Or at least, not long enough appearances for me to have heart palpitations from worry. I didn't even feel that there was a plot twist. It felt like it was only the first half of a book and I kept waiting for the conflict to arise. Surely this can't be the end? Overall, I thought it was a well-meant triple axel that ended up as a perfectly landed double axel because it was still actually pretty damn good *sigh* Am I being too greedy?

I loved Raid. He lived up to be the perfect KA alpha that I so craved. As I've mentioned, I was instantly sold on his being in the Marines. He was a protective and caring son and big brother and just a really nice person. I easily liked Hanna too. She was a great character and the perfect fit for Raid. I loved how she was so determined to help Raid with his issues and that she was so acceptive of him. Grams, Spot and KC were all great supporting characters. I thought Grams was like the Ella to Lexie in [b:Lady Luck|12958487|Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327912930s/12958487.jpg|18115826]. I love that there was sound counsel from a wiser, older character.

I think I now prefer KA's books with the more intense storylines. I would recommend this book to someone who's new to KA's books, and then go back to Knight and Creed after. Overall, it was still a great read and I'm just grateful that we got a KA book so early in the year and getting another one in less than 2 months :)