kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

The Immortal Highlander - Karen Marie Moning Happy, happy, joy, joy! *happy dance around my room*

Loved, loved, LOVED this book!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I've always pictured Gaspard Ulliel as my Christian MacKeltar (in the process of turning Unseelie prince) but since my pathetic imagination can't conjure up a black-and-long-haired, blacksmith-looking Adam Black, I'm borrowing him for this review.

I FREAKING LOVED ADAM BLACK!!! First of all, I cannot help but be gleeful about how this book tied the Highlander and Fever series together. There's mention of the Tuatha De, sidhe-seers, Aiobheal and the evil, evil Darroc! I've been so intrigued with Adam Black ever since [b:Dreamfever|6050298|Dreamfever (Fever, #4)|Karen Marie Moning|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320402953s/6050298.jpg|6225943], when V'Lane said to Mac, "I begin to understand Adam" and disclosed that he was a Fae who chose to be human. [b:The Immortal Highlander|112752|The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)|Karen Marie Moning|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320528439s/112752.jpg|1281288] is the book that tells us THAT story.

Gabrielle O'Callaghan is a sidhe-seer - a person who has the ability to see the Fae and other non-human creatures. Unlike in the Fever series where the sidhe-seers were a number of women who belonged to a structured organization, Gabby believes that she is the very last one of her kind, in her family and city at least. She was raised by her grandmother, also a sidhe-seer, who has taught her all she knew about the Fae and their kind. She grew up believing that they are evil beings who would kill her instantly the moment she reveals that she could see them, so she trained herself to ignore and stop reacting every time she sees one in order to protect herself. Unfortunately for her, she betrays her identity during one of her bad days.

Adam is the last prince of D'Jai - one of the royal houses of the Seelie. He was a favourite of Queen Aiobheal but inasmuch as he adored and served her, he had always been fascinated with humans and had involved himself with their affairs, most notably and recently being his involvement in the rescue of Dageus MacKeltar. Because he chose to save Dageus' life, the queen has decided to punish him by stripping him off his immortality and cursing him with the f├ęth fiada, which is an invisibility spell. So now Adam is exiled from the court, cut off from the queen, left on Earth as a mortal, AND reduced to an invisible man, unseen by both humans and Fae, with no powers left. He then seeks to find a way to speak with the queen again and convince her to return his powers back and allow him back to their land. While on this mission, he encounters Gabrielle and discovers that SHE can see him! Perfect! Now she can help him! Only this feisty little lady absolutely despises him and his kind. Still, he pesters her until she gives in and agrees to help. And so their mission begins!

"What happens to me? While you may be the most important thing to your egotistical little self in your narcissistic little world, guess what - so am I in mine."

I thought that this book was absolutely hilarious. Adam, true to his Fae prince nature, was incredibly egotistical and full of himself. There were so many instances when he and Gabby would fight and argue, yet the more time she spends with him the more she realizes that some of the teachings she grew up with may not have been entirely accurate after all. She gets to know Adam better, and finds out that he understands her more than anyone else. The development of their feelings toward each other was nicely paced, and I was just thrilled that it wasn't only Gabby who learned to go against her previous beliefs and perception about the Fae. Adam also came to understand that there is more to his existence than a lifetime of togetherness and immortality. The Adam at the end of the book was FAR from the Adam whom we first got to know. Gone was the narcissistic, selfish Fae prince. In the end, he made the ultimate sacrifice of giving up his immortality to be with Gabby, knowing that after their life ends, he could no longer be with her for he had no soul. And what a surprise twist in the ending! That turned a lot better than what I'd hope for!

"Will you marry me, Gabrielle O'Callaghan? Yes or yes?"

I guess, being the sentimental schmuck that I am, the themes of longing were what got me the most. Adam's longing for the humans, longing to understand and longing for love. Aiobheal's longing for Adam, found at the end of the book when it was revealed that she still visits him. It may not be a literal longing for him per se, but I felt that she longed to understand why he did what he did. Gabby's longing to be understood and to belong. I am just so happy with how this story turned out. It's one of those happy, fairytale-like stories that will stick with me forever. And the inclusion of the Druid vows... *sigh* It just gets me every time.

5 amazing stars!!!