kimreads

Kim

Peace. Love. Books.

Own the Wind  - Kristen Ashley 5 biker badass stars!!!

[a:Kristen Ashley|2958084|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1279995377p2/2958084.jpg] is my absolute favourite guilty-pleasure author. In real life, I can't possibly want to be bossed around by super hot alpha males with caveman behaviour tendencies. I can't possibly want to be involved in the dangerous affairs of commandos, bounty hunters, badass private investigators, pimps and bikers, among others. In reality, I will probably roll my eyes or snort at most lines the heroes in her books deliver. In reality, not all former players and dawgs turn a complete 180 when they fall in love. In reality, there can't possibly be CHAOS, with a seemingly minimum requirement of gorgeous looks and badass personalities to be a member. My brain just can't fathom the perfection [a:Kristen Ashley|2958084|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1279995377p2/2958084.jpg] creates. But I can surely fantasize, and in my dreams I'm biker family royalty with a badass biker boyfriend who answers, 'Where do you want me to be?' every time I ask where he is. Hands down, [b:Own the Wind|16280522|Own the Wind (Chaos, #1)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360278008s/16280522.jpg|22006731]'s Shy Cage is the absolute pinnacle of fictional boyfriend perfection.

I don't think I could've rated this book 5* had I not read the Dream Man and Rock Chick series first. It's a culture. The situations are better understood and the characters feel like family. (Of course, I'd hate to be actually related to KA's men since I basically perv on all of them.) You HAVE TO read her other books to get the full experience. Plot-wise, this wasn't KA's strongest. I've mentioned before that I now prefer her books with the more intense storylines ([b:Creed|13640229|Creed (Unfinished Hero, #2)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347468402s/13640229.jpg|19254508], [b:At Peace|11665750|At Peace (The 'Burg, #2)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327913073s/11665750.jpg|16610933], [b:Lady Luck|12958487|Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327912930s/12958487.jpg|18115826]) due to the themes of redemption that I absolutely love and cry buckets over. But this didn't stop me from giving this book the honest rating I believe it deserves because I really enjoyed the story and the awesome characters.

In a nutshell, Tabby Allen was essentially a wild child who hung out with the wrong crowd. Over the years, members of her dad's motorcycle club have intervened and rescued her from countless disastrous situations, that is, until the day Shy Cage decides to teach her a lesson and shows her her future life if she doesn't stop and get her act together. Needless to say, the act woke Tabby up to reality, but not without getting hurt by Shy's way of showing her.

"I wasn't what you thought, Shy. I didn't need your shit and I also didn't deserve it."

They grew apart, and Tabby did straighten out her life but then a tragic event leaves her devastated and an opportunity for Shy to right his wrong comes and he steps up to be there for her.

"You need a safe place to forget shit and escape, I'll give it to you. Tonight. Tomorrow. Next week. Next month. That safe place is me, Tabby."

There were countless reasons why I adored this book but the number one reason would have to be Shy Cage. Have I mentioned enough how perfect Shy is? I was worried that this book would fall into the hit-and-miss stream of New Adult books with idiotic, indecisive, and over-the-top melodramatic characters. How could I have doubted KA? Despite being younger than your average KA hero, Shy was so put-together and mature beyond his years. I'd be pausing every few pages and internally shouting 'YOU'RE THE MAN!' because of something he said or did. He saw straight through Tabby's facade and he never failed to call her on it. He strived for honesty, and he respected her enough to never sugarcoat his words.

"...I gave you the option of goin' quiet about it this time 'cause we're still gettin' used to each other. But, sugar, in future, I'll have a lot less patience with you goin' into your head and keepin' sh*t from me. And the only way I can think to get that across is to ask you to think about how you'd feel if I did the same to you. Somethin' important was goin' down, I didn't let you in, give you a chance to help me deal even if I eventually decided not to deal the way you advise me to deal, how would you feel?"

I also appreciated Tabby and how she and Shy had the life in the 'Hood in common. She grew up among the men of Chaos. She IS Chaos. She knew their lifestyle and had high regards for her dad and his brothers.
"I get I'm not Shy's one and only but I still...f*cking...am.

Most importantly, she knew how Shy felt about Chaos. Nothing meant more to her than the acceptance of their relationship by her family and Chaos.

"I love you. I couldn't live without you. But if you take away the only family Shy has outside his brother I will never, ever forgive you."

There were also plenty of new interesting characters, namely Landon, Shy's awesome brother, and cameos from characters we all love.

"VIP! V...I...f*ckin'...P!"
Need I say more? ;)

And I can't NOT mention the awesome that is Tack Allen, the absolute godfather of godfathers and top badass EVER. When all else fails, wise words from Tack saves the day. I loved the exchanges between Tack and Shy, and between Tack and Tabby. And let us not forget the epic showdown between Tabby and Tyra. BEST DIALOGUE EVER. I also loved how Tack regarded Shy. Tabby might be Chaos' princess but he knew that she was first and foremost, Shy's old lady.

I know the book and the epilogue is shorter, and that's where I saw most complaints stem from, but I thought it was perfect. I had my fill of the usual things I loved about KA's books (the running sentences, the alpha males, the themes of family, friendship and loyalty) that I just appreciated what was given to us. I'm sure I'll get my fix of kidnappings and tears when the books in her other series come out. I'm satisfied with the direction of this new series and albeit fictional, I really enjoyed being in the world of Chaos. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun read and a new book boyfriend. And if you haven't read [b:Motorcycle Man|13448656|Motorcycle Man (Dream Man, #4)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337615202s/13448656.jpg|18968802] yet just stop. Right now. Pick up that book first. And read all KA's other books while you're at it.